Feed-in Tariff (FIT) and microFIT Program
NOTE: These programs are no longer offered in Ontario. Please see the pages on Net-Metering, Load Displacement or Generation.
The information below remains for historical reference.
The Province of Ontario has introduced new regulations to support the implementation of the Green Energy Act, including the creation of Canada's first feed-in tariff program which will be administered by the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO). "Feed-in Tariff" refers to the specific price paid to renewable energy suppliers for the green energy they produce.
The Feed-in Tariff (FIT) and microFIT programs were launched by the OPA on October 1st, 2009. The OPA merged with the IESO on January 1, 2015. With regard to existing contracts, the IESO will be substituted for the OPA as the counterparty to the contracts. Going forward, all new documents will be branded as the IESO to reflect the new organization. The Final Rules and the Contracts for both FIT and microFIT programs are available on the official Feed-in Tariff Program website. The microFIT program is highly simplified and the contract issuance process is different from the FIT program.
The generators will be allowed to sell their entire electricity measured at the output of the generator at an established electricity rate according to the different types of resources utilized. Payments to the generator under the FIT/microFIT will be made by the IESO through a settlement process between the generator and the distributor, according to the requirements of the Retail Settlement Code (RSC).
Detailed program overviews for the FIT and microFIT are available on the Feed-in Tariff Program website for potential renewable projects proponents in preparing for the application process.
NOTE: Per the December 16, 2016 directive from the Minister of Energy, the final FIT Application Period was held in 2016 and the IESO ceased accepting applications under the FIT Program.
Micro Generation Connection Process
For Generators Greater than 10kW (FIT)
Please follow the steps bellow to begin connecting your Feed-In-Tariff (FIT) Project to Festival Hydro’s distribution system under the Ontario Power Authority (OPA) FIT Program:
- Review the Feed-In-Tariff Program information and complete the FIT Program registration/application on the IESO’s website.
- Apply for a Pre-FIT Consultation for project using Form A – Pre-FIT Consultation Application. Festival Hydro will assist by providing transformer station name, feeder designation, voltage, and point of common coupling. (A completed Form A – Pre-FIT Consultation Application can be emailed to: FIT@festivalhydro.com or faxed to (519) 271-7204.
- Once you have received the pre-FIT Consultation response, complete and submit a Form B - Connection Impact Assessment (CIA) Application to Festival Hydro for a more formal assessment of the impact of connecting the generator to the system. Festival Hydro will respond with a CIA study agreement and payment information
- After completion of the CIA and an agreement of the scope and cost are reached, a Connection Cost Agreement (CCA) or Site Servicing Agreement (SSA) is required to be signed by the generator to cover the costs Festival Hydro will incur to connect the project to the distribution system.
- After submitting the CCA or SSA with payment, detailed design and construction may begin
- Once all of the required work and approvals are completed, the Connection Agreement, signed by both Festival Hydro and the generator shall be executed and final connection can occur
For Generators 10kW and Smaller (microFIT)
Please follow the steps bellow to begin connecting your microFIT project to Festival Hydro’s distribution system under the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) microFIT Program:
- Review the Feed-In-Tariff Program information and complete the microFIT Program registration/application on the IESO’s website.
- The OPA informs the applicant that their application is eligible and that the next step is for the applicant to submit a connection request to Festival Hydro. (A completed Form C – microFIT Connection Application can be emailed to: FIT@festivalhydro.com or faxed to (519) 271-7204.
- Festival Hydro reviews the application and confirms capacity availability to the applicant and to the OPA.
- If capacity is available, Festival Hydro will respond with a conditional offer to connect. If capacity is not available the applicant will be informed.
- Once all of the required work, conditions and approvals are completed, a Micro-Generation Connection Agreement shall be executed by the Generator and final connection can occur.